Sunday, July 6, 2014

Nonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Red Black Tea by Teavivre



Seller Description: "A cup of Nonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Chinese Red Black Tea will not only attract you by its taste, but also by its appearance: so dark and strong with tight and long tips. This tempting appearance is produced in Yunnan. While if you want to describe its taste, you can use the word elegant. It can serve you a cup of elegant gongfu tea or afternoon tea."
WebsiteNonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Chinese Red Black Tea by Teavivre
Sample source: Provided

Teaware: 16oz glass infuser mug filled to 12oz
Measured dry: 5 grams per 8oz (7oz full sample)
Water Temperature: 200º F
Steeping Time: 2 minutes
Additives: 3 teaspoons of raw sugar

My earlier tea-making attempts today were something of a comedy of errors. I decided to shift from the norm and try to do a gaiwan steeping. I usually only do that for greens and oolongs... and I think I should keep to that rule in the future!

This tea is so fabulous that it deserves much better treatment! When I was using the gaiwan I messed up the proportions enough that it came out a little like a microbrew, with an intense, toasty maltiness that was just this side of bracing.

When I returned to my comfort zone and made a fresh batch Western style, it made all the difference in the world. This tea had a lot of promise during my earlier bumbling, but this... wow.

My mother used to bake us butternut squash as an autumn treat. She would cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and fill the remaining bowl with butter and brown sugar. As it would bake, those flavors would sink into the flesh of the squash.

The toasty, slightly buttery creaminess of this tea is taking me back. It's maltiness is tempered a little by the raw sugar I added, but the more refined method certainly allowed this tea to come into its own. I'm sad that I used up the rest of the sample, but my birthday is in September and this is totally going on my wish list!

Prominent Notes: Creamy maltiness throughout
Aftertaste: Slightly toasted edge to the continued maltiness
Overall: This is totally going on my wish list!


And, for the heck of it, here is our kitty, Akasha, supervising!

No comments:

Post a Comment